Regular Part Time - 2nd Shift with Rotation
This is a union (AFSCME) position
Functions as a member of the total nursing team to provide direct or indirect patient care as needed under the direction of immediate supervisor and/or team leader.
* Assists patients in a manner conducive to their safety and comfort; adheres to established Hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
* Assists personnel with restraining patients.
* Assists the physician as needed.
* Assists with the discharge of prisoners, when needed.
* Assists nurses with helping patients in and out of bed for transport.
* Has a thorough knowledge of obtaining, setting up, removing, and storing equipment (K-pads, flotation mattress, air pressure mattress, etc.).
* Has a thorough knowledge of obtaining, setting up, removing, cleaning, and storing traction equipment. Performs a daily traction inspection. Clean and stores equipment and supplies. Assures that all OR litters have full oxygen tanks.
* Relays information regarding patient care to the Patient Transport supervisor or Nurse on the Unit.
* Removes (specialty) beds from the patient floors when the patients are discharged (two persons required).
* Reports equipment in need of repair or replacement to Patient Transport Supervisor.
* When assigned as Clerk Dispatcher:Receives all requests for patient transportation; and, orderly needs and establishes priorities for response to calls within the framework of Nursing Administration policies. Maintains transportation and orderly logs, as indicated and records all problems or delays, reports problems to immediate supervisor and notifies department involved. Coordinates all calls for direct patient care services
* When assigned as Elevator Operator:Responds to calls from Patient Transport Supervisor who is transporting patients to and from the Operating Room suite to designated nursing units. Operates elevator by key control. Responds to calls from the nursing units and gives prompt attention to emergency calls from surgery, Emergency Department, nursing units, and Radiology for codes and Life Flights. Signs key in and out at Security and/or Patient Transport. Reports need for repair of elevator.
* High school graduate or GED diploma.
* Knowledge of equipment used in Nursing, especially traction and suction.
* Demonstrate weight test - as set by Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department.
* Able to establish and maintain good working relationships both intra and inter-departmentally.
* Patient, courteous, and tactful.
* Neat and orderly in work and appearance.
* CPR certification
* Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and written.
* Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgment in setting priorities on calls.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
* CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
* Act 34 Criminal Clearance
* Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities