As part of the Smith & Nephew Human Factors team the Staff Human Factors Engineer will lead usability and design efforts across a number of Smith & Nephew's life changing device programs.
* You will demonstrate and champion user-centered design principals, employ design thinking activities, identify unmet needs and generate design requirements while ensuring human factors and usability regulatory requirements. * In addition to providing design and usability guidance, this position will lead ethnographic research activities that will craft and define business strategies across a variety of medical device products and services. * As a Usability authority, you will contribute to the establishment and adoption of organizational human factors operating procedures and processes. * You will lead research across multiple programs to understand users (clinicians and lay users), use environments, user characteristics, behaviors and constraints. * You will support the delivery of projects by developing and leading strategies, informing design through user research, reviewing HF literature, iteratively testing concepts, leading external partners and compiling reports for submission to regulatory authorities. * You will provide ongoing assessment where changes to an existing product user interface are proposed, identifying any additional work required. * You will develop and maintain Usability processes and procedures in order to streamline product development and maintain regulatory compliance. * You will develop and maintain an understanding of the latest information regarding Usability and Human Factors testing for medical devices. * You will maintain a network of external contacts who can be referred to for advice when appropriate. * You will ensure all activities are performed in accordance with relevant national and international standards. * You will place special emphasis on IEC62366 - 1 and the FDA's guidance Applying Human Factors and Usability Engineering to Medical Devices.
Travel Up to 25%
* Minimum BSc in relevant area (Human Factors, Industrial Design, Cognitive Psychology, Engineering) * Licenses/Certifications * Human Factors/Ergonomics qualification an advantage
* 4-6 years' experience in product development with the application of Human Factors Engineering to product/system design. * Project and third party management experience (budget >$100k) * Working knowledge of Usability/Human Factors Engineering in a medical device environment. * Experience moderating usability studies. * Knowledge and understanding of Human Factors/Usability standards * Experience of working on medical devices, capital equipment, GUI * Strong organizational, prioritization and communication skills.
* You know and care about the business * You focus on the customer * You build positive relationships * You Embraces Innovation and Change Management * You deliver on commitments * You value People
* Microsoft Office Suite: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Project and Visio * Preferred: Adobe Creative Suite, 3D CAD (Rhino 3D, Solidworks), KeyShot
* Not a budget holder but responsible for selecting partners and defining / monitoring Scope of Work which may exceed $100k
* Build and maintain internal relationships * This role will predominantly involve communication with other functions at a similar level and functional managers of other departments.
* Your day will include extensive communication with third party authorities. * You will be able to engage with external human factors and design partners * You will take advice regarding overall strategic direction on projects from HF Director. Requires little to no supervision in day to day activity.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.